Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Shalom

Greetings from Israel. I arrived here at the kibbutz Sunday night, having traveled for 27 hours. Unfortunately my luggage had traveled only about one hour. I filled out Lost and Found forms at the Tel Aviv airport. The man who worked at that office took my information, made a few clicks on his computer, looked up at me and said, "Your bag is in Dallas." So for two days I made do with only what I had carried on board the plane, washing my clothes out in the shower every evening and wearing them again the next day. Fortunately my backpack arrived today. It felt like Christmas! Especially to get the Starbucks coffee I had packed, which means no more instant coffee for me. * This experience of digging in the Early Bronze area of Tel Megiddo is one of the most interesting and coolest things I have ever done. I arrive at the dig site every morning and hang my day pack on a rock jutting from a wall that was built approximately 1400 BCE. (For some perspective - the Parthanon was built around 447 BCE.) * That's all for now. It is 10:15 p.m. and I must get to bed. The bus leaves for the tel every morning at 4:40 a.m.

3 Comments:

Blogger Summer said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

June 13, 2006 7:56 PM  
Blogger Summer said...

Dad-
I am rewriting the comment that I accidentally deleted. I had a typo and in trying to change it, I deleted it. I am so glad to hear that you arrived safely, and that your luggage finally found you. I can't wait to hear more about your experience when you have time to write. I have so many questions. Have you found anything yet during the dig? What is the history of the area you are excavating? What is the dynamic of the group you are with? What is your schedule like and what do you do during your free time? I'm thankful that you so often choose to take the road less travelled. It's so much more interesting! We're all well. Ava has been asking "Where'd KPapa go?" We are learning to say "Maggedo." Keep safe.
Love you-
Summer

June 13, 2006 8:04 PM  
Blogger Chad said...

KP -
Look forward to hearing more. Stay in touch. Be safe & be dangerous.
Peace.
Chad

June 13, 2006 9:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home