Monday, November 28, 2005

One of the hottest meals ever

Over the Thanksgiving break I traveled west for climbing of Guadelupe Peak, hanging out in Ft. Davis, and then on to Marathon where I went into a small Mexican food restaurant for dinner. I ordered "Ruben's Guiso," which was the special concoction of Ruben the cook. The waitress asked me if I wanted it hot or mild. "Hot," I said. "It is very hot," she told me. "You might want it mild." I told her I frequently eat spicy foods, and that I would like this dish hot. She went into the kitchen and placed the order. I could hear her arguing in Spanish with Ruben. Ruben then came out and explained to me that when people order the dish "hot" they cannot eat it. "There is only one person who has ever been able to eat it as hot as I make it," he said. "So I would be the second?" I asked. "Yes," he said. I felt at this point as if my personal pride were on the line. "Make it as hot as you want," I said. He raised his eyebrows, said "okay," and headed back into the kitchen. About ten minutes later the waitress set the plate in front of me and said "good luck." I asked her for a large glass of water and dug in. The meal was extremely hot. One of the spiciest meals I have ever eaten. Shortly I removed my cap and with a napkin wiped the sweat off my head. Then I blew my nose and kept eating. I finished every bite, but it was a challenge. Ruben came out and smiled and nodded his head in approval. I could tell he was impressed. I told him it was delicious and thank you very much. I then paid out and drove back to the campground, wondering what kind of troubles this would cause with my digestive system. Fortunately there was minimal damage, and I lived to tell about it. My advice: if you are ever in Marathon, stay away from the guiso.

5 Comments:

Blogger Chad said...

I am laughing out loud. I can just picture this scene. I'm impressed.

November 28, 2005 6:46 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

I don't know if I should say that's impressive or just dumb, but either way, once the cook put the challenge out there, it can't be turned down. Glad you survived it and lived to share.

November 29, 2005 6:59 AM  
Blogger Summer said...

I got back online once we got off the phone. I had not heard much about your trip, so I enjoyed reading your blog. Wish I could have been there to watch you eat, though it sounds painful. Glad you were up to the challenge!

November 29, 2005 7:21 AM  
Blogger JENNY said...

I couldn't have done that. However, I bet Chris would have joined you if he were there! I'm impressed!

November 30, 2005 8:42 AM  
Blogger jkreggp said...

Jenny - I am impressed that you correctly use the subjunctive case of verbs. Good going!

December 01, 2005 6:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home