Monday, June 19, 2006

Alter

I work in area J. The temple area of the tel. The middle of this area is dominated by a Canaanite alter from around 2,000 BCE. This was 1,000 years before the children of Israel crossed the Jordan to take possession of this place. The alter is made of thousands of soccer ball sized stones. It is four feet high and 40 feet in diameter. This is where the high priest of the temple (perhaps a temple to Baal) would sacrifice animals. This morning when I arrived in our area a bit after five o'clock I climbed up onto the alter, and as I looked out over many miles of the fertile Jezereel Valley drank some Starbucks coffee from my thermos, played a few notes from my shakuhachi, and said a prayer of thanks to God for allowing me to be here.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

Dad,
I was praying for you all day yesterday, that you would know how much I love and appreciate you for the father that you are, and how thankful I am for you to have this opportunity. I was disappointed to see that I missed a chance to tell you that myself--*I will start carrying my cell phone at all times, just in case--but I trust that you know all that. Happy Father's Day! I love you!

Your life has come full circle now that you find yourself doing the same labor you did as a teenager in Seminole, only now you're in your 50's in the Holy Lands. God is good.

June 19, 2006 10:02 AM  
Blogger Summer said...

Dad,
Ava just woke up from her nap and so I don't have much time to post, but I wanted to tell you that she has been asking constantly "Where'd KPapa go?" and has now started asking "Where's KPapa's hat go?" I am not sure which hat she is referring to, but I have been telling her the hat is safe with you in Israel. Such a funny kid. You and your hats are missed.

I have a Father's Day card waiting for you when you return. I love to picture you sitting on a 4,000 year old alter watching the sun rise. Amazing. We continue to pray for you and love that you are taking us along on your journey through your blogs. Ava is singing loudly now so I better go get her.
Love you--
Summer

June 19, 2006 1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home